REIDSVILLE, N.C. — Smoke alarms save lives and there’s proof of that in Reidsville.
On Feb. 11, Melvin Lane, Jr. and his 82-year-old dad were asleep when their home caught on fire. The smoke alarm woke them up.
“By the time we got out of the house the smoke and heat were so intense,” Lane said.
The father and son made it out of their home by the time firefighters got there.
“During the process he said ‘Thank you for what you did’ and we of course responded no problem and I said ‘I’m glad that smoke detector went off and you guys were able to get out’ he said ‘Thank you for that too,’” explains Reidsville Fire Marshall Jay Harris.
Reidsville firefighters were the ones that installed that smoke alarm back in 2012.
“If it wasn’t for the fire alarm, we probably wouldn’t have heard it. We would’ve been hurt or killed,” says Lane.